Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pattern Review: McCall's M6590

I tested this pattern before I decided whether or not to make Molly and her cousin Riley matching Christmas dresses with it.  All in all, I'm very pleased with the look of the dress (even though I made it using old fabric I had lying around, haha).  If I plan to use this one, I'll probably dye it and then actually add buttons.  This dress also gave me an excuse to practice the automatic buttons holes.  I loved i so much that I went a little overboard on button holes, haha.


The pattern was pretty decent for a commercial pattern!  I chose dress A and traded the sleeves for the long sleeves and opted to leave the neck ruffle off (I simply finished the neck with bias tape).  It all went together pretty well so my only complaint is that the instructions were very limited.  I often sat at the machine and stared at the picture and then the words before figuring out what was supposed to happen.  But once I got through some of the more confusing parts of the instructions, I was able to fly through the rest.

On a side note, during this project, I'm finally getting closer to mastering gathering!!  I'm terrible at gathering (I guess everyone has their "thing").

Anyway, I'm still undecided about whether to use this pattern to make Christmas dresses or if I should use one of the Oliver + S patterns that I have wanting an excuse to buy anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment