Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Car Seat Strap Pads

To break in the new sewing machine, I decided to make some strap pads to go on M's car seat.  I figured it would be a good simple, straight forward project to get used to my new machine.


It was a really straight forward project.  All you need is some scrap fabric and 6 inches of velcro (6 of each hook and loop).

To start out with, I cut two 6 1/2" x 4" rectangles out of two different fabrics (one for the front, one for the back) and batting.  Then I layered and pinned with the front and back fabric right sides together and the batting on top as shown:

After that, I sewed with a 1/4" seam and left and opening to turn it right-side out.  I totally forgot to leave the opening on the first pad.  Then I had to use the seam ripper to cut it open so I could get it right-side out.  Oops!!!

After you turn it right-side out, pin the opening shut and hem around the edges.

Now, stitch a straight line 2" from the edge on each side of the strap pad as shown below.

Put that part aside and grab your velcro.  Cut four 1 1/2" pieces of both hook and loop (you should have eight total).

I put them at the top and bottom of my strap pads.  Start with loops  I lined the inside edge up with the measurements 1" on the top and 2 1/2" on the bottom as shown:

Sew around the edges of the velcro.  Flip the pad over and put 2 hooks on the opposite side.  Sew around the edges.

After that, clip your threads and put them on the car seat!

Easy peazy!  And they look so cute too!!!  We may need some to match pretty much every outfit...




No comments:

Post a Comment